For Weight Watcher participants, here's a primer on volkswalking
1. This is a non-competitive sport designed for Fun, Fitness, and Friendship.
2. A 5K walk is 3.1 miles. Volkswalks are typically 10K walks but often 5K walks are an option. This walk is an adaptation of a 10K walk which usually starts at the West Hills Tennis and Fitness Center.
3. You should wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes and carry a water bottle. We won't have water stations along the way.
4. Walking briskly will help maximize your weight loss and fitness. The best way to maximize your weight loss efforts is to walk at a brisk pace where you find it necessary to breath through your mouth. This pace increases your heart rate to about 60% of it's maximum rate which is the target zone for burning fat. The formula for finding that number is to start with 220, subtract your age and multiply that number by .6
5. You will be asked to sign a volkswalk registration page as we track and report the number of individuals who complete our walks. This registration includes a waiver which is part of our group insurance we carry for walkers.
6. The route will be marked with ribbons and arrows and you will be given written directions and a map of the route.
7. We hope you will enjoy this activity as part of your fitness goals and everyone is welcome to join our Cedar Milers Volkssport Club. Our only dues is a commitment to volunteer for 2 hours a year helping at one of the 3 or 4 walks our club hosts each year.
8. You do not have to join our club or any club to participate in volkswalking. You may walk for free or for credit without being a club member.
9. Free walkers are just that...people who walk for free. (Donations are welcome though :-). Credit walkers pay a $3 fee which supports the club (so we can keep on putting on walks), as well as the Oregon Trails State Volkssport Association (our state level) and the AVA (our national office). The books to track how far you walk and which walks you do cost $5 each. New Walker packets are available for $5 to get you started with your first 2 books, 3 free walk coupons, some other special deals, and information about volkssports.
10. For more... check out www.ava.org where you can find all kinds of information about walking and even go through a tutorial step by step program about our sports. HOPE TO SEE YOU ON THE TRAILS!